Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Airline Story (I am sure you can relate)

Story time: Flight back to Guatemala

My plane was scheduled back to Guatemala on the 3rd of July from JFK. I was extremely sick and needed to be drinking lots of water. At this point, I have no idea what is wrong with me. I did manage to make it to the airport. Our flight was on time and everything seemed to be fine. We boarded the plane and the first announcement was there was no water usage on the plane. Therefore, they were going to be bringing bottled water on the plane which might cause a little delay. Finally we cruised out to the runway for about fifteen minutes. Then the pilot comes on with an announcement that they are delayed in Atlanta and we are going to just wait to take off for about twenty minutes. Five minutes later he says “To save on fuel we are going to shut the engines down.” The engines shut down and the next thing we know there is no air conditioning as well as no air. I ask the flight attendant for a glass of ice and water. Meanwhile, breathing in the cup for fresh air, two men (one from some African country and the other a rather large white man) began arguing back and forth because the pilot was at the front of the plane making announcements we couldn't hear. The flight attendant threated to kick them off the plane. I was about to ask her if I could be kicked off the plane. Twenty minutes later a small truck tows us back to the airport. Two hours later after trying to figure out if our plane would be fixed and if my luggage would go with me, I decided to stay on the same airplane. Needless to say, I missed my connecting flight. I must have looked terrible when I arrived in Atlanta at the terminal because the attendant worked really fast and told me she was going to put me up in a Hotel for the evening. I got to the hotel and was able to rest. It was a nice break and I just wanted to lay down. I thanked God for just being able to rest a bit in a very nice hotel. The rest of the trip was adventurous but typical for Guatemala traveling on a bus.

No comments: