Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Shockwave!



There are a few things my old roommate wanted me to share with you all on my blog. I would like to share with you right now things that have surprised me or even shocked me since I have been here. One thing that is a little shocking is the size of bugs. They have a bug here called the rhino bettle. It's about three inches long and one inch thick. It flys to the groud and craws slowly towards anything it can crawl up. One night during a volleyball match one crawled up my leg it was extremely scary.
Another surprising thing was seeing people carrying water on their heads in jars but talking on cell phones. But it shouldn't be that surprising. I thought the jugs were clay and when I went to a store here they were plastic. I just thought that was a little smarter then clay.
Feet- people here walk everywhere and some walk barefoot. It simply is not unusual to see women walking with flat sandles and her children not wearing shoes. The weather is not bad for this because it usually rains and going bearfoot is the best way to not have to clean your shoes, I guess.
Most everyone here wears white socks with black shoes and color of clothes doesn't really matter nor the pattern. So basically anything goes here so you don't have to worry about matching. Although, most of the shops here sell name brand clothes or at least put the name brand on their clothes. It's interesting to see top brand clothes names being wore by most of the city people. They dress very stylish and look very Americanized.
Did you know they have a bug here that goes into your skin and it doesn't stop iching until it dies. So some bug bites will stay iching for about ten days. Right now I have about fifteen on my feet. I woke up about 3 am because they were bothering me so bad. But it caused me to read my bible so that's a good thing, right?
I will have a picture of the rhino bettle soon for those who want to see it. Just a few things I haven't shared much on my blog... I hope you enjoyed the insight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!!! Bugs that DIE in your skin??? Eeeeeeek! Do you want me to send you some OFF spray, or would that even work??? Maybe we should buy that generator/compressor thingy that knocks out bugs for several square miles, LOL!!!

Love you and miss you girl!!!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Wow Tina, even a story about feet! Sounds like you are really taking one for the team!

Love you and miss you!

Amy