Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What's New? Can you say Turkeyslayer!





What's new under the sun? Better question.... What's new under our window?

*(this next section my not be good for vegetarians or animal lovers)
Yesterday, I walked up the stairs and in a black trash bag something was moving. It scared me to death. Then without me noticing, Irma had hung a live Turkey from our window (inside the house) and one of our roommates was getting ready to kill it. They butchered it while I made grade reports at the table right infront of me. The rest of the roommates ran to their rooms. But for some reason I was fasinated by their ease of the whole process. I sat in awe of the entire experience. They laughed as they placed the dead turkey in a pan of boiling water (this was to help with pulling out the feathers). They even lit a fire on the kitchen floor to get the rest of the feathers off of the turkey. My other roommate and I were in complete shock. If this doesn't create questions of life in Guat, I don't know what would. But as I tried to understand their reasoning. They were doing this out of the kindness of their hearts because someone randomly gave our Missions family a turkey and she didn't want to have to kill it herself. Irma is not scared to do anything and she got the Turkey ready for cooking. By the way Turkey's are very expensive here. This was a very kind thing for her to do for our ministry family. I was alittle caught off guard and amazed.
I came here with very little expectations and I have found it's still very difficult to get use to the changes. Please pray as I am adjusting to the simple ways of life but very different ways. Pray I will stay Humble in my position and focused not on myself but others. Please pray I can find humor as I have in this little story to keep me understanding His ways are not always my ways. (well let me just say, very seldom).

4 comments:

Tidy Bowl said...

This reminds me of the "Meat Market" in Thailand. In Thailand, they have different markets categorized by what is sold there... there's a Fruit Market, a Flower Market, a Meat Market, etc...

Well... the Meat Market has booths where people sell pounds and pounds of raw meat. Different types of fans (mostly not electrically powered) keep flies away (mostly). Meat is literally just laying out. There are raw chickens and ducks hanging by their feet, fish (including the scales) laying on buckets of ice, buckets of pig's feet (quite a delicacy in Thailand, I understand), decapitated pig's heads laying on the tables... and everything else that you can't even imagine. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the smell...

It's an experience I don't think I will ever forget!

Anonymous said...

Tina-

Wow, were you rubber necking at the turkey? I'm sure I would have been! I wonder if it was one of the turkey's I got my picture taken with when I was there? When you come home for Thanksgiving, maybe you can demonstrate your turkey plucking skills!

love ya,
Amy

Anonymous said...

i just wish you'd had a camera with you.
(eeyyuucchhhhk)

love,
brother t

Anonymous said...

I saw this done in the market in Guadalajara with chickens. Some of the guys our group had met asked us if we wanted to go see "pollo". We followed them unwittingly into the market to a booth that had a couple of crates with live chickens in them. We watched as a mother with her children came by and pointed to the chicken she wanted. It was taken out of its crate and butchered just like your turkey was. Having grown up in America where we buy our meat shrink-wrapped and post-mortem, this was quite an educational experience to our very "gringo" group!