Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Teaching Little Children


Tonight, I shared with the Awana group at our Church. I was a little nervous because I didn't know what to talk about with the kids. God gave me a vision to talk with them on something they have in common with Guatemalan kids; Sports and Birthday's. I talked about how I grew up with Awana and how I went to the Awana Olympics as a fifth grader. Now God has me teaching sports to Guatemalan kids. God also showed me how giving the Guatemalan culture is on Birthdays. Now when your child has a birthday you serve a huge feast for around 30 people or more. When people get there and are all seated the birthday family serves their guest. When the guest leaves they get a huge bag of candy to take home. I shared that with the kids and they thought that was a pretty good deal. Not only do you get candy from the pinata but you also go home with more candy. Then I talked about how someone very speical is having a birthday coming up soon. They all guessed it was Jesus. I shared with them how God gave his son on that special day and every year it's to remind us that Jesus was a gift and God served us at his birthday party. He gave us a gift we could take home and cherish. I then explained it's better to give then to receive. At the end, I gave them their choice of candy to take with them from the pinata. Two little girls shocked me as they passed by taking candy from my hand. One little girl already had candy and gave me what she had and another little girl gave me a quarter. I was in awe... I told the little girl who gave me the quarter .. "sweetie you don't have to pay for the candy it's free" and she said..."it's for you!" Wow! What kids can learn and learn quickly took me 34 years...:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute!