Monday, June 23, 2008

Strike Three YOU'RE OUT, Next batter




So I started umpiring. It's a way to bring in some extra cash and stay involved in the game during the summer. Wow!! I had no idea how hard you can work out there. So I do three games a night(two nights a week)and feel like I am going to die before the third game ends. The little girls are adorable and the coaches care so much about them. I am seeing a totally different side to the game and it's very interesting. As a coach you are watching your pitchers and making sure everyone is in position when the ball is in play. It's not uncommon to argue a call or two. Many times as a head coach you feel like you need to have a tone of knowing what is going on and always being right in front of your players. You care they get the right call and don't just start swinging at everything.
As an umpire, you are making sure of several things you can't see all the time. You need to be in the right place at the right time. See the runners touch the bases, try not to run into the base runners, while getting across the field to let everyone know you saw the right call by yelling it out with authority. As a home plate umpire, you need to have a consistent strike zone, watch the feet in the box, look for movement with the bat, make all fly ball calls, and get to third if the field umpire is watching the runner at first. Now, that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Coaches and Umpires alike get yelled at by the Parents. Umpires during the games and coaches before and after the games. It amazing how we are all human trying to teach and make the right decisions for our youth. We sometimes make bad decisions and other times we make really good ones. We are human and it's not easy to live with a mistake and it's even harder when everyone is telling you how often you are making them. I make good calls mostly in the games and feel pretty good. There are times I blow it. Oops.
Whether you are a coach or an umpire it's about the kids. What are they learning from us? How are we doing in demonstrating respect and competitive play. I have been impressed with a few teams and how much they follow their coaches lead. I have seen bad coaching and bad umpiring. In the end, there is still another game ahead. There are always going to be kids learning from good coaches and having bad umpires or vice versa.
What am I learning in all this? F R E E that spells free, we just got a free base baby. Lot's of chants? yes! But also in everything we do, do it to the best of our ability with love, a deeper understanding from the other persons side and gratitude.
I am thankful for the opportunities God has given me and the people who have stood beside me. Batter UP!

photos taken by my nephew Huck (Happy Angry and Scared) All three emotions I feel when I am umpiring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the cutest umpire in the whole world.

(Huck feels very happy that his photography is on display!!)

Anonymous said...

Those pics are hilarious!!!