Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A New Way of Life




This past week has been just about the most stimulating week I have ever had and not just because of the language. I have been very privileged to live in the teachers' house. With this honor comes lots of "invites." We get invited to everything and we attend just about everything. I had budgeted money for gifts to send home but I think I am going to be using it for gifts right here. It's been a honor to go to my first Guatemalan wedding and my second birthday party. Now, going to these events taught me a lot about their culture. For example, if they say 3:00 they actually mean 3:30, 4:00 or perhaps 4:30. The wedding was supposed to begin at 11:30 and I think she walked down the aisle about 1:00 or 1:15. I can't remember because I was too busy watching everyone eat the center pieces (apples surrounded by grapes). Anyway, it was a civil wedding which means they had a lawyer do it and all I know is that it took a long time. We were at the wedding from 11:30 until 3:30 and they hadn't gotten around to serving the cake yet. I don't know if it was rude or not but we left after the meal. The bride was gorgeous and I even got a few good shots of a few cute little girls. There were no bride's maids but there was a kiss. The birthday party was for a one-year-old named Evan. He stole my heart the minute I walked in and I looked around. I saw the balls he had to play with all around the house. There was a little one the size he could throw, a few that were much too big for him to hold, and a sweet old football he loved to roll around the kitchen. During the party, Evan hit the pinata with a little stick he could hold (given to him by yours truly, of course). We made friends and he reminded me of my little Huck (my nephew in NYC). So, I must say, this past week was just amazing to experience all the tradition, the families, the cakes (one with a spider-man top), the conversations and the COMMUNITY. I am now a part of a beautiful community that reaches out to one another. Romans 15: 4-6 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach of us so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity amoung yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. So whether you eat cake or not, be together! :0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tina! You look beautiful and you are doing a beautiful thing! I hope all is well and that God is strong in your heart!
Love ya! God Bless!
Marisa