
Because of the shortage of water at our house, another missionary named Joni invited my roommate (Amie) and I to help her housesit a missionary families house out in the jungle. We knew there was going to be clean water to wash our clothes and showers, therefore, we were all for it. We jumped in the truck and off we went. That night we had church and forgot to turn the porch light on. When we came back it was the most unreal thing I had ever seen. I have bragged about how big the sky is in Kansas and how much I miss the stars. But when we sat on the porch that night looking into the darkness and sparkling lights from fireflies surrounding us it was as if we couldn't tell when the sky actually began or the mountain ended. We tried to take pictures but it was something only the human eye could retain.
I still miss the storms in Kansas but I don't miss the lack of sleep from them. I watched "Twister" the other day and it was like I was home for a couple of hours. There are days I miss being home and under the big Kansas sky.
Where I live here, there is a valley and there are mountains on each side of us. The nights are beautiful when the loud music a bass playing is finally quieted. I like it here very much and people here are unbelievable to one another. I can only think of how God must see his people as little lights shining in the darkness creating beauty even for those who are in darkness.
2 comments:
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
~Philippeans 2:14-16
Wow! I wish we could be there to take it all in. Aren't fireflies the greatest bugs in the world?
Post a Comment